The surgeons were aware of the routine laboratory and ultrasound findings. Blood samples for routine laboratory tests (white blood cell count, differential count), and C-reactive protein were obtained on admission. White blood cell and differential counts were measured by the Hematology Analyzer (HARIBA ABX Micros 60). The normal WBC value in our laboratory is 0–10 x 109/L. Levels above 10 x 109/L were considered as above normal. The percentage of neutrophils was considered elevated when >75%. The C-reactive protein concentration was quantified by a Latex
agglutination slide test for the qualitative and semi-quantitative BIIB057 supplier determination in Non-diluted serum (Humatex, Wiesbaden, Germany). For semi-quantitative determination, serum dilutions were prepared with the 0.9% sodium chloride, according to the instructions of the manufacturers. Each dilution was tested according to the qualitative procedure described above until no further agglutination was observed. The serum CRP concentration was then estimated by multiplying the dilution factor from the last dilution with visible agglutination (2, 4, 8, 16, 32) by the detection limit (6 mg/l). E.g. if the agglutination titer appears at 1:16, the approximate serum CRP level is 16 x 6 = 96 mg/l. The normal CRP level in our laboratory is 0–6 mg/L. Levels above 6 mg/L were considered as being above normal. Serum CRP measurements were not taken into account for the decision
of surgical intervention and to compare it with the surgeon’s clinical diagnosis. Further, KU-57788 solubility dmso the laboratory staff
was not informed about the clinical findings, decisions, and outcomes (double blind study). Removed appendixes were fixed in 4% formalin, stained with hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) and analyzed histologically. Based on the histological features of the removed appendix, according to the criteria described click here by Shashtari M H S, 2006 (24), the patients were divided into three groups: Group A normal appendix, Group B inflamed appendix (simple appendicitis), and Group C perforated/gangrenous appendix (complicated appendicitis). The final diagnosis was based on the histology and, in the case of perforation, on the macroscopic evaluation by the surgeon. The pathologists were not informed of the patients’ clinical and laboratory data, except for the surgical diagnosis. Statistical analysis All variables showing a significant difference between the groups were further analyzed. The receiver-operating characteristic (ROC) curves were drawn to define the optimum sensitivity, specificity, cut-off value, predictive values, and diagnostic accuracy, determined by the area under the ROC curve (AUC) of the studied laboratory markers. Results Out of a total of 173 patients, the histopathologic findings MLN2238 confirmed acute appendicitis in 148 (85.55%) patients. Normal appendixes were removed in the remaining 25 (14.45%) patients: males were 52.